Make a Difference
Whether you’re looking to gain work experience and broaden your horizons, fulfill your passion in mental health and creativity or simply want to give a few hours a week to a cause that benefits your community, START can help you do something special.
Volunteers aid tutors within creative sessions, as well as help out on reception, maintain our garden, provide fundraising support and assist during events. Volunteers can also involve themselves with Start Creative Studios to generate income for the organisation.
We host biannual meetings to allow volunteers to be kept up-to-date on volunteering in general as well as give them the opportunity to meet other volunteers.
To become a volunteer with us, contact our office to discuss the options.
Nicola Pratt- Administrator/Volunteer co-ordinatorClick to Email
0161 351 6005
What people say about volunteering...
“They’ve made me a volunteer, which comes from that self-belief they instill in you that ‘you can do it’. Start has given me so much that, you know, I’ll try and repay at little bit in the best way I can.”
The Benefits of Volunteering
Whilst you’ll want to make a real difference when you volunteer, it’s not just about what you can do for others. Volunteers get a lot out of the experience too. At START, we believe that good volunteering is rewarding for everyone involved.
Here are some of the things that volunteering can do for you:
- Give your CV a boost - According to research, 73% of businesses said they would employ someone who has volunteered over someone who hasn't.
- Get back into work - It’s a great way to get a reference and fill gaps in your work experience. You can also try out different types of work to get a taster, which can really help if you’re looking for a job or want to change direction.
- Improve your wellbeing - Volunteering does wonders for your mind, body and spirit. This goes especially if you're feeling isolated or out on a limb after a big change, like a redundancy or change of relationship. It's a way to plug yourself in again and get charged up.
- Improve your confidence - You’ll learn and do things you might not normally get the chance to, which can be a real confidence boost. Sometimes just getting out to meet new people and try new things can help you feel more connected, happy and confident.
- Improve your health - While you’re busy giving back to your community, you could also be getting healthier! Research has found that volunteering can do everything from help you sleep better to boosting your immune system.
- Meet new people - You’ll probably meet people from different cultures and backgrounds that you might not normally encounter. Volunteering with those who are just as passionate about a cause as you are is a great way to meet like-minded people.